Tuesday 6 December 2011

We're Blogging!... Our Apologies?!


I would like to start our first blog with an apology! … Let me explain.
I’m not sure if other Non-Profits agree, but at our Agency, there is a natural ebb and flow of busy times, extremely busy times, and a bit less than busy times. Administratively, it seems as though major reports and proposals are all due around the same time (what’s up with that?!). As well, we have naturally very busy times of each fiscal year (our audit, and our AGM time, for instance.) Operationally speaking, we have busy Agency priorities that take on a life of their own at times and become the focal point for all of us at EFry. And then there are our women who seem to follow their own ebb and flow; at times there is practically a line up out the door to access our supports and services (like today for instance, when I traversed from my side of the building to the main reception area to grab something from my mailbox, but came to a sudden halt when I saw our main foyer filled with women waiting to meet with our Employment Coordinator, Britt. Where did they all come from?! It’s great, but I was quite surprised.) Some days, like today, we need ‘all hands on deck’ to meet the challenging needs of our women, and other days, we wonder where they are?! As mentioned, our busy drop-in seems to follow a pattern of its own.
Back to the apology. Quite simply, sometimes we will have more time to blog than others. And we apologize if it seems inconsistent.
We are committed, however, as an Agency to blog as we see it as a way to discuss the issues that are pertinent to us and to our women, issues that should be pertinent to you too! (‘just sayin’…). Often times I will chat with our team and say things as they come to my mind (specifically about social justice issues in the news or about ‘prison realities’), and Florence, our Changing Paths Coordinator, will say ‘These are things the public should know about!’ And while I agree, I didn’t really know how to spread these messages, aside from shouting them aloud on the sidewalk(?!), and more importantly, who would want to listen to me. So, this blog is PERFECT for this purpose. Therefore, the next time I go on one of my rants, and Florence gives me ‘the prompt’, I will make a mental note and try to discuss it here.
Furthermore, we have amazing and talented writers at EFry! I hope to have them showcase their ‘mad skillz’.  … When they have time. Like I said --- ebb and flow… busy, not-so-busy….  And right now, actually is one of those crazy busy times for EFry. Christmas!
And on that note, back to work!
Thank you for reading!
Toni
Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment